Frequently Asked Questions

Coronavirus Advisory

The U.S. Government has a new policy regarding travel from Europe to the United States from March 13, 2020 to April 12, 2020.  Restrictions apply to travelers from the Schengen Area countries in the past 14 days.

The twenty-six countries part of the Schengen Area: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland. (NOTE: The United Kingdom and Ireland are not part of the Schengen Area.)

Guidance based upon U.S. Government statements to date:

  • Any U.S. citizen or lawful U.S. permanent resident returning to the United States who has traveled to one of the Schengen Area countries within the previous 14 days must enter the United States through an approved airport (see below).

  • Non-citizens or foreign nationals may not enter the United States during this restriction period.

What you should do if you are currently traveling or soon to be traveling (March 13 - April 12) to or through the restricted countries:

  • If your current return flight is scheduled to land at one of the approved airports below, you do not need to do anything at this time

  • If your current return flight is not scheduled to land in one of the approved airports, you should contact the airline to have them rebook you into an approved airport (see link below).  This will be the fastest and most efficient path to proceed home in an approved fashion.


Airports previously approved for re-entry from affected areas

  • Atlanta: Hartsfield–Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL)

  • Boston-Logan International Airport (BOS), Massachusetts

  • Chicago O’Hare International Airport (ORD), Illinois

  • Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport (DFW), Texas

  • Detroit Metropolitan Airport (DTW), Michigan

  • Daniel K. Inouye International Airport (HNL), Hawaii

  • Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL), Georgia

  • John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK), New York

  • Los Angeles International Airport, (LAX), California

  • Miami International Airport (MIA), Florida

  • Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR), New Jersey

  • San Francisco International Airport (SFO), California

  • Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA), Washington

  • Washington-Dulles International Airport (IAD), Virginia

Aer Lingus:

Italy Advisory 

Please be assured that the Aer Lingus Vacation Store is continuing to monitor the Travel Advisories published by the U.S. State Department. 

On March 9th the Italian Government extended travel restrictions to all of Italy until April 3rd, with hotels scheduled to reopen on April 9th.

If your trip is impacted in any way and you are traveling in the immediate future (departing between now and April 8th) Aer Lingus  Vacation Store will notify you with your options. 

If you would like to contact us email us at  and be sure to include your ALVS reservation number and your inquiry. We thank you in advance for your patience while waiting for our reply as we expect some delays due to the volume of inquiries. 

Please be aware that, at this time; for trips that are not affected by this travel restriction vendors, including airlines, hotels and sightseeing operators are not providing refunds. Cancellation charges may apply for these services if you have not purchased our 'cancel for any reason' Travel Protection Plan (if applicable to your vacation package) and are not canceling within the plan guidelines. 

If you are traveling after April 8th, and want to change your plans, these requests will be treated as a regular request for change or cancellations and standard change fees will be applied.

We encourage you to stay up-to-date on Travel Advisories issued by the US State Department.

Do I need a visa or a passport to travel to Europe?
You need a valid passport for travel to Europe; if you hold a U.S. passport and are traveling to the EU for 3 months or less, you do not need a special visa.

Is it easy to book online?
Yes, it’s easy to check prices by departure dates and cities and book an entire vacation package for multiple travelers online.  When booking, simply have the following information for all passengers:  names as they appear in passport and date of birth. We mail one set of documents for the entire reservation.

Is full payment due at time of booking?
Yes, full payment by credit card is due to complete the transaction and issue airline tickets.

Will I receive a booking confirmation?
Yes, you will receive an email confirming your booking with itinerary details upon completion of your transaction.

Will I receive travel documents in the mail?

Shortly after completing and paying for your booking in full you will receive a confirmation e-mail with a link to access your trip details in our Traveler Portal. Most of our travel documents/vouchers are available within approximately 5 business days of booking.  However, depending on the package booked, some documents are not available until approximately 30 days prior to travel.  You will receive a follow-up notification when they are available. Lastly, please keep in mind that your air is paperless - you will NOT receive a paper ticket or e-ticket.  The airline confirmation number found on your itinerary is sufficient for check-in.  

Do I really need to print my travel vouchers?

Yes - You will need vouchers to pick up your car (or rail voucher if a rail package), check into hotels/castle hotels/B&Bs and partake in any excursions you may have pre-booked. Note that some vouchers for excursions are open vouchers for general admission and can be used on any date during the establishments' opening hours.  Please see the remarks on the voucher for more details.

NOTE:  Sometimes details such as meeting points or times change so please print your vouchers close to departure to ensure that you have the most up to date information. 

Can I cancel my trip after booking?
Once paid your travel arrangements are non-refundable as we have secured and made payments for your reservations and services. Airlines and hotels are very strict with cancellation policies in order to reduce administration and continue to provide competitive rates. We highly recommend purchasing our Travel Protection Plan in order to protect your investment from unforeseen circumstances. For more detailed information please visit our Terms & Conditions.

Do I get seat assignments when I book through Aer Lingus Vacation Store?
Yes, you will be assigned the best available seats whether you book online or over the phone.

Can I change my seat assignments after booking?
You can contact the airline with your confirmation number (PNR) to have your seats changed.  Your PNR flight confirmation number is 6 characters and is located next to your flight information.

Where can I check my itinerary online?
To view your itinerary online, go to; be sure to have your reservation number to log-in.

What do I need to pick up my rental car?  

You will need the credit card of the designated driver.  

NOTE:  Discover cards and debit cards are NOT accepted. 

Do I need an international driver’s permit to drive a car in Europe?

Your U.S.-issued driver’s license is all you need in most European countries, but some countries also require you to have an International Driving Permit (IDP). You can get an IDP at your local American Automobile Association office ($15 plus the cost of two passport-type photos). Even if you have an IDP, remember that you must carry your U.S. driver's license as well.

Car rental agencies in Europe don’t require an International Driving Permit to rent a car but, depending on the country you’re visiting, are technically required to ensure you have one. Those driving in Italy, Slovenia, and Spain are technically required to carry a permit and could be fined if found without one.

What are the age requirements for renting a car in Europe?
Minimum and maximum age limits for renting a car vary by country, type of car, and rental company. Most companies require a minimum age of 21, but travelers who are at least 25 years old should have no problem. Drivers over 70 may have trouble renting in the Great Britain and Northern Ireland. If you're over 69, you may pay extra to rent a car in the Republic of Ireland, where the official age limit is 75 (but people 75-79 can rent if they provide extensive proof of good health and safe driving).

Does my credit card cover car rental insurance?
It is the renter's responsibility to find out if he or she has coverage in the location they are traveling to, and what limits to the coverage are. If your credit card does cover you, bring a copy of the policy with you to avoid any complications at the car rental desk as well as the credit card used for purchase.

Should I purchase car rental insurance?

Protect yourself in the event of auto collision, theft or fire with walk away coverage and zero deductible. Book VIP Express Car Insurance (aka Collision Damage Waiver) with your package to save 25% off published rates.  

If you decline this plan and can show proof of 3rd party coverage through your credit card, Enterprise will take a pre-authorized deposit of 250Euros (or 500Euros under special circumstances such as credit card decline).  If the car is damage upon return, Enterprise will place an additional 2750Euros charge on your credit card.  Upon evaluation of the damage you will be refunded the difference (if the damage is less than the total of 3000Euros) or, if the damage is more than 3000Euros, the additional will be taken up with your credit card company's insurance plan.  IMPORTANT NOTE:  If you did not purchase the VIP Express coverage with us and you cannot provide proof of 3rd party coverage, you will be required to purchase the VIP Express plan at the time of pick up. 

What side of the road do they drive on in Europe?
In all countries except Ireland and Great Britain, they drive on the right side of the road as they do in the U.S.

What is the currency used in Europe?
The Euro is the main currency used in Europe except for the following countries which use local currency: Great Britain, Armenia, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Denmark, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Norway, Poland, Romania, Sweden and Switzerland.

How can I find out what the exchange rate is?
Visit for current exchange rates.

Should I get Euros before leaving the U.S.?
Generally, it's recommended to exchange currency once you arrive at your destination.  The airport will have currency exchange and ATM machines where you can withdraw what you need upon arrival.
Can I use my ATM card abroad?
Yes, that is the easiest way to obtain local currency when traveling but you may need to inform your bank that you are traveling and will be withdrawing funds from your destination.

Create Account

The contact email is associated with an existing account, please sign in to continue.
If you have a password, you can use it below. Otherwise, just use your email address and reservation number to login. If you don't have an account, you can create one today.